Jumpstarting Innovation in Your Business
October 1, 2012
To ensure success, it’s important to consistently evaluate your business and identify possible areas for enhancement. Of course, because you are an integral part of daily operations, it’s sometimes hard to visualize what enhancements may be needed or to come up with that next BIG idea.
With this in mind, we want to provide you with a few tips to help jumpstart innovation in your business. Author Soren Kaplan in his new book “Leapfrogging: Harness the Power of Surprise for Business Breakthroughs,” serves up a few questions that can help you view your business from a new vantage point and inspire innovation. Take a moment to ask yourself:
- What is the simplest thing you could do right now to transform your company?
- What skill do you never use at work that could help your company perform better?
- When have you ever pushed yourself beyond your comfort zone? How did you benefit?
- What work-related experience brought out your entrepreneurial side?
- Have you ever looked at the data you manage and wonder why it matters?
- What surprises challenged your assumptions and gave you more insight into your business?
Innovative breakthroughs often require that you step back just enough to really “see” your business. These questions offer a good start.